Monday, October 6, 2008

John McCain is NOT Pro-Life

Why must we reduce "Pro-Life" to meaning "Anti-Abortion"? I come from a Catholic background. The Church's commitment to protect life, at least as I understand it, is to ALL life; American life, Iraqi life, Afghani life, unborn baby life, inmate life, POW life, migrant worker life, ALL life. Before I continue, I must acknowledge that there are many people who demonstrate their pro-life stance both outside the abortion clinic and the prison gates. It is not them about whom I am wrting. I am writing about those who will say a novena for all those babies who are aborted but are ready to send thousands more of our young men and women into the battle field or support "any means necessary" needed to interogate prisoners at Guantanamo; I'm talking about the people who claim that labor unions only corrupt workers who are greedy for more money and don't see that labor unions demand living (not minimum) wages, safe working conditions, and fair labor practices; I'm talking about the people who say that there isn't a need for universal health care. All of these things are life issues. Why do we only label a candidate who is anti-abortion as pro-life? Are we saying that only certain life counts?
I don't know what I'll do the next time I hear John McCain called "pro-life". I suppose you could call him that if you mean "pro-white american upper middle class unborn life".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well played!

McCain has voted to protect people that commit, or threaten to commit, violence upon the nurses and doctors at abortion clinics. He has passed laws that don't make such acts federal hate crimes, and found ways to let those individuals declare bankruptcy in an effort to avoid fines and lawsuits. Pro-life? Depends on whose life.

An unrelated point; Palin's son who was recently sent to Iraq only went because he was given a choice by a judge--go to Iraq or go to jail for dealing drugs. It goes to the larger fact that neither McCain or Palin walk the walk they can so clearly bark. You betcha!